Sunday 6 June 2010

Who'd have guessed I'd be a role model?

Panthea greeted me today with her usual enthusiasm, 'I'm tired, I've got a headache, I need to go shopping...I'm reallly ill...' Half way through the lesson, after I'd persuaded her to do some ratio worksheets, she started questioning me about my job and whether I worked part time. Within minutes she had decided she would get an A in Maths and become a tutor too - 'If I work in the evenings I can spend the day going shopping'. She worked out the exact hour intervals when she would work and even informed me that she would earn more than me because she would 'work Fridays too'.

Before she could be persuaded to work again she sketched the shoe she apparently wanted to buy - complete with spikes, 5 wheels, a water bottle holder at the back and various doughnut carriers at the front, the shoe would make doughnuts. She is remarkably inventive, if a little crazy, and it almost seems a shame to teach her maths instead of English, which she loves. However, she cant be a Maths tutor if she doesn't learn, so hopefully she will be more keen on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment