Sunday 5 July 2009

First Day in 59 Banbury Rd

I'm living in college accommodation for ten days whilst I 'sort out my life', that is, try and work out what an earth I should do next having studied a German degree for four years and failed spectacularly to get a job despite having applied for over fifty this year. I guess it's a tall order, but I can also look forward to a holiday in Chemnitz and Brussels as well as working in Oxford as a Residential Advisor for Japanese students again.After that I'm doing the Hertford Telethon for two weeks, putting off the world a little longer and possibly making contacts with the alumni I call up. Come October though I will need a real job.

I've never lived on Banbury Road, scorning it as too far away from the centre of Oxford. I never bought my friend's logic in trying to get me to live there: she reckoned having a garden would be great. I though living next a river somewhere more central with a catered dining hall was infinitely preferable. I could come downstairs in my slippers at 5.30, watch Neighbours with my friends, get my dinner and maybe watch the Simpsons too.

But having a garden is actually pretty cool. I just played croquet for the first time in over 7 years. And then badminton. It's strange how you realise there are more and more great things about a place just when you have to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment